Wednesday, October 28, 2009

All in One Oven Chicken Dinner


Now that it's autumn, I'm happy that I can return to oven meals as they not only warm our tummies but give extra warmth in my kitchen as they simmer :o)

Tonight we're having an easy to make and cook favourite that can be prepared earlier in the day and then is baked in the oven while you do something else.   The aroma will bring everyone to the kitchen wondering when supper will be ready!!

I use my turkey roasting pan with lid so that it can hold all the ingredients and the liquid.

INGREDIENTS [adjust quanities depending on the size of your family]
  • bone-in chicken thighs and breast
  • whole medium potatoes 
  • carrots 
  • onions cut in half 
  • no-MSG, low sodium chicken bouillon 
  • pepper as you like it [I love it so sprinkle liberally!]
1 - Place the chicken pieces [I leave skin on because it adds to the overall flavour and you remove the chicken and veggies from the sauce BEFORE serving anyway]

2-  Place the whole peeled carrots [if NOT too thick - cut in 1/2 diagonally IF too thick] and the onions cut in half with the chicken.

3 - Mix with about 1-2 cups of boiling water with the chicken bouillon powder and pour over all.

4 - COVER and Bake in oven for about 10-15 min BEFORE adding the whole potatoes, depending on their size [if they are very large, add at the same time as the other ingredients]

Otherwise, BAKE in 350 deg. oven for about 1  hour.

Because everything is in 1 pan, it's super easy and really delicious!

Bon Appetit :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I've done something similar to this before.

You could do this exact thing in the slow cooker only it would take longer and I either wouldn't add the potatoes or I would add them later.

I haven't made this in awhile so thanks for the inspiration. (o:

Stillmeadow Cottage said...

I know I could use the slow cooker but I love doing it in the oven because the potatoes are so tasty with the broth coating them a little then broken up on my plate and slathered with margarine!

Mmmm ...

I was going to get a picture but by the time my husband got home for supper, I was too hungry to remember :o)

Post a Comment