Monday, February 23, 2009

*Almost Cabbage Rolls* Casserole

I've only ever made *real* Cabbage Rolls once or twice in my life and while they are tasty, they also require more work than I'd like :o)

Two weeks ago I tried this recipe and we just loved it!
Simple to assemble yet delicious make it a keeper in our home. It called for 8 cups of cabbage and because that seemed like too much, I used only 4-5 and it was not enough ... I know for next time :o)
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 (28 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 c cider vinegar [I used regular vinegar]
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, packed
  • 1 Tbsp. dry mustard
  • 8 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped [I used only about 4-5 cups]
--Brown ground beef with onions and spices first. [it doesn't say so, but that's what I did]
--
In large bowl, mix together beef mixture with rice.
--In small bowl, stir together tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and mustard.
--Layer 1/3 of the cabbage in bottom of 3-quart deep casserole.
--Arrange half of the beef mixture on top. Cover with another 1/3 of the cabbage then the other half of the beef mixture.
--Pour tomato sauce mixture over top, but do not stir. [Casserole will be quite full.]
--Cover -- let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
--Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours, without stirring.

There were 3 of us and there were leftovers for my lunch the next day so I'd say it serves 4 nicely :o)

2 comments:

sherry said...

When I make cabbage (I make stuffed grape leaves using lamb as well) rolls I cook the beef first. Would I do that for this recipe as well?

Stillmeadow Cottage said...

Yes Jane, you would ~ thanks for pointing out that I didn't mention that ... off I go to rectify it :o)

Post a Comment